|But Ruckstell’s airline lost money because the hoards of tourists he’d anticipated never came. In February 1938, Ruckstell signed an agreement with TWA airlines where GCBDT would improve Boulder City’s airport if TWA would lease it. Part of those improvements included a substantial new terminal in Pueblo style, which opened around May 20, 1938. It was a beautiful building: the waiting room had open beams in the ceiling and a large wood-burning fireplace; there was a radio room, ticket office, and office for airport manager Ed Campell.
This attractive little terminal remained in use until TWA abandoned the Boulder City airport in the late 1940s. In 1958 the Boulder City Elks Club bought the terminal for use as their club house. In 1964, shortly after being raided by Boulder City police for illegally serving liquor at their functionswhich wasn‘t too many years after they were raided for gamblingthe Elks added a large auditorium onto the east side of the building. The TWA terminal part of the club, however, has remained pretty much intact.
Meanwhile, the original Grand Canyon Airlines terminal wasn’t lost. In 1938 when the new terminal opened, Ruckstell moved the old one to the hill behind Arizona Street with address at 618. This became the home of Henry and Ocie Bradley, Boulder City’s first African-American residents who worked for Ruckstell. Henry was a chauffeur for Grand Canyon-Boulder Dam Tours, while his wife, Ocie, made the box lunches served on TWA flights out of Boulder City. This little frame house stood until February 2002 when it was moved to the Clark County Museum where it awaits restoration.
Sponsored by the Boulder City/Hoover Dam Museum.