|The official name for our library organization is Boulder City Library District. The Library District is established in accordance with NRS 379.021 and is governed by a Board of Trustees composed of five local citizens appointed by the County Commissioners for four-year terms. The Library Board has statutory authority to set the property tax levy for operations (currently at .0855/$100 of assessed valuation) and to propose debt for library construction. The Board of Trustees owns all library property, establishes policies for the operation of the Library District, adopts budgets, approves expenditures, and hires the Director.
The Library District was established on March 16, 1943, by the Clark County Commissioners. This establishment followed a petition drive in the community spearheaded by the Boulder City Jaycees with Elton Garrett, Denzel Pease and Arliegh West heading up the petition drive. The original tax levy set by the County Commissioners was .10/$100 of assessed valuation and the boundaries were specified as those of Boulder City School District #1 (SW corner approximately at the west end of the new airport, north to Lake Mead and east to the Colorado River).
Prior to the creation of the Library District, Boulder City Library had been, since the early 1930’s, a volunteer organization and had maintained itself through local fundraising efforts, with varying degrees of success. From 1941-1942, the Librarian was Ruth Slattery, from 1942 1958 the Librarian was Miss Ruby Wyman. The original location of the Boulder City Library was in the basement of the City Building (now the Senior Center and Police Station), the Library moved upstairs in about 1958, moved again in 1982 to the building at 813 Arizona Street, and finally to its present location at 701 Adams Boulevard.
Next month we’ll discuss library collections, see you then!
Contact the Boulder City Library at www.bclibrary.org